Listen on: Apple Podcasts | Spotify
In today’s episode, we are joined by Dr. Aditya Simha to discuss leadership traits as exhibited in popular Harry Potter novels.
Dr. Aditya is an Associate Professor of Management at the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater. Simha obtained his Ph.D. in Business Administration at Washington State University, a Master’s degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Visvesvaraya Technological University. His research is primarily in business and healthcare ethics, and organizational behavior. Aditya Simha is the author of the book Leadership Insights for Wizards and Witches (Exploring Effective Leadership Practices through Popular Culture).
In this episode, Aditya outlines leadership styles, theories, and concepts through the imaginative lens of J.K. Rowling’s magical world.
- [01:08] The episode starts with Brendan Asking Aditya how he managed to write a Business book about the Harry Potter characters.
- [03:10] Aditya gives a quick description of his credentials and career.
- [04:22] Aditya explains how he teaches the different leadership styles to his MBA students.
- [05:18] Is there a particular approach when you think about how I want to teach leadership as it ties into Rowling’s books and plots and characters?
- [07:00] Aditya explains how he sorted leadership qualities and traits from the different characters in the Harry Potter novels.
- [08:47] Brendan asks Aditya if his book only focused on the main character or also included all other characters, including ministry staff, teachers, and elves.
- [10:37] Ad break- Our veterinary leadership program
- [12:34] Aditya explains how he picked up leadership traits of various characters through moments and events described in the novels.
- [14:00] Self-leadership based on the Harry Potter series.
- [15:29] Aditya talks about the leadership style of Dumbledore and its shortcomings.
- [20:30] Are there characters who do not become leaders yet they exhibit leadership traits?
- [23:34] The End.
Sign up to Leaders to access the extended version of this podcast.
Connect with Dr. Aditya Simha