Listen on: Apple Podcasts | Spotify
In today’s episode of The Veterinary Business Success Show, Brendan Howard interviews emotional intelligence expert, Karla McLaren.
Karla McLaren, M.Ed. is an award-winning author, social science researcher, and pioneering educator whose empathic approach to emotions revalues even the most “negative” emotions and opens startling new pathways into self-awareness, effective communication, and healthy empathy. She is the founder and CEO of Emotion Dynamics LLC and EmpathyAcademy.org.
Alongside her work as a CEO, she is the author of Embracing Anxiety: How to Access the Genius of This Vital Emotion (2020), The Dynamic Emotional Integration Workbook (2018), (with Janja Lalich, PhD) of Escaping Utopia: Growing Up in a Cult, Getting Out, and Starting Over (Routledge 2017), The Art of Empathy: A Complete Guide to Life’s Most Essential Skill (2013), The Language of Emotions: What Your Feelings are Trying to Tell You (2010), and her most recent book, The Power of Emotions at Workplace (2021).
In this episode, Karla McLaren dives into the depths of emotional intelligence in the workplace and other social settings.
Outline of this Episode:
- [00:00] Intro brief
- [01:21] The podcast starts with Brendan asking Karla McLaren how she has managed to write about emotions for so many years now
- [02:16] Karla McLaren explains how she learned about emotions from Animals
- [03:55] Karla McLaren and Brendan discuss the neurological explanation of human emotions
- [05:12] McLaren expounds on the relationship between emotions, anxiety, and intelligence.
- [07:15] How did the book Power of Emotions at Work come about? Brendan asks McLaren to explain how and why she decided to write the book.
- [09:45] Karla McLaren explains her ability to read the emotions of people at any workplace
- [11:28] McLaren discusses emotional regulations in the workplace and other social structures.
- [13:25] Brendan asks McLaren to share her thoughts on why people fear sharing their feeling or discoveries in social settings
- [14:58] McLaren and Brendan joke about the joyous feeling when others lose.
- [15:19] Ad break- Learn more here
- [16:25] The show resumes McLaren explaining the importance of developing a relevant emotional dictionary in a workplace
- [18:45] McLaren discusses her Emotional Dictionary book
- [21:10] Karla McLaren expounds on emotional intelligence abilities.
- [23:17] Brendan asks McLaren to share her reflection on a time when she was at a place where there were high emotions and rationality.
- [28:26] McLaren explains about setting emotional boundaries in workplaces
- [31:20] Which is the first step one should take in improving emotions at the workplace?
- [34:33] Closing Ad
- [35:28] The podcast show comes to an end
To access the extended version of this podcast episode, join our Leaders community.
Connect with Karl McLaren: