Listen on: Apple Podcasts | Spotify
For this week’s episode of That Vet Life Show, Dr. Meghan Vaught joins Dr. Moriah as they discuss cyberbullying in the veterinary profession, specifically referring to a 2019 incident in which Meghan’s MVMC received thousands of death threats over a puppy’s surrender to its facility. Along with it, however, MVMC received an outpouring of support from clients and the veterinary community as a whole.
After finishing her clinical rotations at the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Vaught earned her Ph.D. from St. George University in May 2013. In 2017, Dr. Vaught finished a three-year Emergency and Critical Care Residency at Tufts University’s Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. She became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care later that year. She is dedicated to promoting the welfare of animals and assisting all animals to lead happy, healthy lives full of treats, sundowners, and zoomies.
Dr. Vaught has devoted her time and efforts to raising awareness about the effects that cyberbullying and public shaming can have on veterinary teams, as well as providing resources to assist others who may find themselves forced to defend themselves against online hate. We discuss how mentors, vets, and the community as a whole can help young people learn how to cope with such traumatic experiences.
- [01:01] The episode begins with Dr. Meghan’s brief introduction.
- [1:50] Dr. Moriah discusses the 2019 incident at MVNV and provides background information on the terrifying ordeal that Meghan and the staff had to experience.
- [03:13] We find out what a typical day in her life is like while underlining the difficulties she encounters at work.
- [04: 35] Dr. Meghan elaborates on the mentoring programs that MVNC is providing for young interns as she explains how to prepare veterinary students for tough situations.
- [08:41] Dr. Moriah and Dr. Meghan discuss the importance of creating a socially and psychologically secure atmosphere for new grads who are just beginning their careers in veterinary medicine.
- [09:10] The values that make up MNC’s culture, and how it is reflected in the hospital.
- [11:38] A short ad break – join Thrive.
- [12:47] Dr. Moriah continues the episode by talking about the importance of emotional intelligence in the veterinary field, explaining its positive impacts on communication and teamwork.
- [16:27] Dr. Meghan discusses how the MVNC puts its core values into practice and how it helps strengthen the bonds among staff members.
- [18:35] Dr. Meghan lists valuable resources that can be used to strengthen a team’s bond.
- [25:45] Dr. Meghan provides insightful guidance for young veterinary graduates starting in practice, particularly for those who find themselves battling cyberbullying.
- [28:12] Dr. Moriah wraps the episode.
To listen to the extended version of this episode, join our Thrive community for free.
Connect with Dr. Meghan Vaught