Listen on: Apple Podcasts | Spotify
For this week’s episode of That Vet Life Podcast, Dr. Caitlin DeWilde joins Dr. Moriah. Having graduated from the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine with an Outstanding Young Alumni Award, Caitlin was selected as one of just ten nationwide veterinarians to participate in the AVMA’s Future Leaders program. She is also a member of the Missouri Veterinary Medical Association, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and the Greater St. Louis Veterinary Medical Association, where she serves as vice president.
In addition, Dr. Caitlin DeWilde founded The Social DVM, a consultancy business aimed at assisting veterinary professionals in understanding, utilizing, and growing their online and social media presence. She served as the medical director at a large hospital in St. Louis before taking a step back to commit herself to her love of marketing.
In this episode, Dr. Caitlin and Dr. Moriah discuss science communication and its importance for veterinary professionals, emphasizing how veterinarians can effectively utilize social media. Listen in as Dr. Caitlin shares her insights on how clinics, young graduates, and solo practitioners can thrive on social media by using scientific communication and content that educates clients.
- [01:13] Dr. Moriah begins the episode with a short introduction of Dr. Caitlin DeWilde.
- [02: 15] Dr. Caitlin shares her thoughts on Science Communication and its importance in Veterinary Medicine, emphasizing how social media can help clients become more educated.
- [06:10] What does Science Communication entail? Get the inside scoop directly from the social media mastermind.
- [10:00] Dr. Caitlin and Dr. Moriah discuss the role of a Veterinarian in Science communication.
- [13:02] Dr. Caitlin describes how to overcome the different social and personal barriers to create an impeccable social media presence.
- [18:14] A short ad break – join Thrive
- [19:20] Is it necessary for individual veterinarians to have a social media presence as well? Before creating a social media strategy, Dr. Caitlin recommends a few things to take into account.
- [21:56] Personal or professional social media accounts? Dr. Caitlin offers her opinion on which one a vet should choose and why. Personal or professional social media accounts? Dr. Caitlin and Dr. Moriah offer their opinion on which one a vet should choose and why.
- [28: 36] Dr. Caitlin discusses how young veterinary students can use social media and what their goals should be.
- [30:56] Dr. Caitlin and Moriah discuss social media’s future, outlining what it will probably look like in five years, particularly in the veterinary industry.
- [35:49] Dr. Caitlin discusses her background in veterinary medicine and her motivations for entering social media marketing.
- [37:20] Dr. Mo wraps the episode with a subtle request to share the episode.
To listen to the extended version of this episode, join our Thrive community for free.
Connect with Dr. Caitlin