Listen on: Apple Podcasts | Spotify
For this week’s episode of That Vet Life Show, Dr. Cynthia Courtney joins Dr. Moriah. Dr. Cyndie is a small animal veterinarian practicing in Kansas City. In addition to being a veterinarian, Cyndie is a superb speaker and consultant. She is the brains of the Jerk Researcher, a conflict consulting firm that employs an evidence-based strategy for conflict resolution in the veterinary industry. Cyndie also won the WSAVA 2019 Next Generation Award, the AVMA Future Leader Award, and Virginia Maryland’s Outstanding Recent Alumnus Award for 2021!
During this episode, Dr. Moriah and Dr. Cyndie discuss the problems faced by new graduates at the workplace, highlighting some common conflict scenarios and how to overcome them with a positive approach. Furthermore, Cyndie explains how setting boundaries and establishing relationships can help resolve conflicts effectively.
Listen in as Dr. Cyndie reveals the best approaches to resolve conflict in the workplace while leaving a positive impact on colleagues.
Outline of this episode :
- [01:20] The episode begins with Dr.Moriah and Dr.Cyndie Courtney discussing their last meeting in January.
- [01:42] Dr.Cyndie explains the idea behind the Jerk researcher and conflict management.
- [03:30] Dr. Moriah talks about the problems faced by new graduates at the workplace, highlighting the tension between new grads and the support staff.
- [05:35] Cyndie discusses the conflicts encountered by new graduates in veterinary medicine.
- [07:36] How to be identified as a new graduate in the practice culture?
- [08:57] Dr. Moriah and Dr. Cyndie Courtney talk about the cultural gaps they encountered as young graduates and how to get over them.
- [13:40] How to handle conflict in the Vet profession?
- [15:44] Dr. Cyndie explains the two approaches to conflict resolution: establishing boundaries and building relationships
- [18:25] How relationship building can help positively in conflict resolution?
- [19:40] Dr. Courtney outlines why some individuals behave destructively at work and how to establish boundaries.
- [21:17] Dr. Moriah and Cyndie talk about unhealthy practice cultures and how to escape them if you find yourself in one.
- [24:10] A short ad break – join Thrive
- [25:20] Cyndie and Moriah continue the episode by talking about how to seek help during a conflict.
- [27:30] How should a freshly graduated respond to criticism from their senior? Is there anything a young graduate can do if there is a disagreement between the two of you?
- [32:22] Dr. Cynthia Courtney shares some tools for managing conflicts for recent graduates.
- [35:01] What is the one thing recent graduates need to consider before starting their first job?
- [36:20] Dr. Moriah concludes the episode by thanking Dr. Cyndie Courtney.
To listen to the extended version of this episode, join our Thrive community for free.
Connect with Dr. Cynthia Courtney