In this week’s episode of That Vet Life Podcast, Dr. Shelby Baden (also known as the Traveling Dogtor), joins Dr. Moriah McCauley.
Dr. Shelby recently graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine after a self-proclaimed ‘four-year gap year’ traveling, working, and gaining experience with animals. Since graduating, Dr. Shelby has been working as an emergency veterinarian in Tampa, Florida.
In this episode, Dr. Shelbey talks about her experience in ER, how she has been supported as a new graduate, the mentors that have influenced her, and the hardship of working in this field.
Outline of this episode:
- [01:03] The episode begins with Dr. Moriah asking Dr. Shelby to discuss her current role. The two discuss being a new graduate doctor in ER.
- [04:18] The culture around mentorship in her workplace.
- [06:40] Dr. Shelby discusses how she took a course on a course called ‘train the trainer’ – to help mentorship. The two discuss the course.
- [09:35] Shelby tells us about her personal mentor.
- [11:22] What are the attributes of a VEG team?
- [13:27] Ad break – join Thrive for FREE!
- [14:40] The episode resumes with Dr. Moriah asking Dr. Shelby how VEG sets up their employees for success?
- [18:39] Dr. Shelby discusses a talk she did at UGA (University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine) about the highlights of VEG and also the hardships of working in ER.
- [19:24] Shelby continues discussing how hard it is working in ER, regardless of working for a supportive company such as VEG.
- [20:48] What are VEG doing to support the wellbeing of their employees?
- [22:36] Shelby talks about the support she has had from a doctor at her practice.
- [24:39] How support from colleagues has helped Dr. Shelby.
- [28:41] Shelby tells us where to find her on social media.
- [29:10] Dr. Moriah summarizes the episode and thanks Shelbe for coming on the show.
Connect with Dr. Shelby Baden:
Connect with Dr. Moriah McCauley: